Skip to content

A Taste of Things to Come

26-Sep-2007

Well, the blog has been awfully quiet the last couple weeks but with good reason – I have been eating and drinking my way around France but have now returned home.  Once I get a bit caught up on work – that kind that pays – I’ll be posting lots about my adventures in France and even about a quick trip to San Sebastian, Spain.

In the meantime I’ll leave you with this photo of a canele – a lovely pastry that I had never met before! Canele is popular in Bordeaux, where it originated, but you will also find them in other areas of France.  The inside is dense, spongy and sort of a solid custard – heavy with vanilla and rum flavors.  The outside has a burnt sugar caramel coating – it adds the perfect note to keep the treat from becoming too sweet yet adds a rich element of flavor.  The one pictured was purchased in Saint Emilion, a lovely little town in Bordeaux

I don’t know where these guys have been all my life but I’m going to be looking for a recipe to see if I can replicate them!

Advertisements
12 Comments
  1. Jamie permalink
    26-Sep-2007 10:55 am

Welcome back!

2. Styln permalink
    26-Sep-2007 12:48 pm

Thanks for the add!  I really enjoy your page and I can\’t wait to hear more about your travels.  Have a wonderful week;)

3. Culinary permalink
    26-Sep-2007 3:45 pm

Thanks, guys!

4. Ovens to Betsy permalink
    26-Sep-2007 4:14 pm

Oh for heaven\’s sake — we were just there as well!  After spending 4 days in Paris (and thank you again for the tip on the moutarde violette) we went to Bordeaux to run the Marathon du Medoc (we had caneles for dessert at one of the chateau lunches.  On our last day there out tour group went to St. Emilion; isn\’t it a pretty town?  In fact, we just received the case of P. du Roy my husband bought at one of the shops.  You can\’t get it in the states — I believe they only make 2,000 bottles each year — so despite the fact he\’s a frugal SOB he bought a case!!!Welcome back; look forward to hearing more tales of adventure.

5. Ovens to Betsy permalink
    26-Sep-2007 4:21 pm

P.S.  While in St. Emilion, did you happen to go to Lile Enchanthes?  It\’s a darling little gourmet food shop (1 rue de la Petite Fontaine).  I could have purchased one of everything there, but my luggage was already full.  However, I did pick up some Sel de Chateau — salt flavored with red wine.  I haven\’t done anything with it yet (other than just taste it), but it\’s delicious.  Such a pretty purple color too!

6. Larry W permalink
    26-Sep-2007 9:23 pm

There is an awesome version of a Canele in this book called "Egg"

I picked this up last week and at first was thinking, ahh another too large formatted, coffee table book. But it is actually really a unique book with recipes from a bunch of awesome chefs.

7. Culinary permalink
    27-Sep-2007 5:48 am

Betsy:  You were in Bordeaux, too?  How funny!!  I must have been coming in just behind you!  St Emilion is beautiful, although I didn\’t do as much looking around as I had wanted.  We arrived about an hour before our lunch reservation and it turned out to be just in time for a procession for the blessing of the red grape harvest – very cool to just stumble upon it.  Then we did a quick tour of some of the wine caves under one of the wine shops, bought macarons and then sat down to our 3 hour lunch!  By then we were actually a little late – we were supposed to be out at a winery/vineyard owned by friends of some in the group so we had to dash out there.  Spent the rest of the afternoon touring the vineyard, tasting their wine and eating (more) charcuterie and cheese!  It didn\’t suck.  :-)  I had hoped to return later in the week but never made it.  :-(  The salt sounds great!  I purchased a kilo of gray sea salt in Paris – that should hold me for a while….

Laroux:  Thanks for the cookbook tip!  Looks like an interesting book with or without the canele recipe!  Apparently there is a specific recipe used for the original "canele de Bordeaux" and then there are cannele bordelais, which are versions that have been "tampered" with – additional ingredients or something like that.  I found a couple of online recipes that seem to be for the canele de Bordeaux, which I\’ll probably start with.  My challenge now is a pan – although I think I have something I can use in my "testing" phase….

8. alias permalink
    27-Sep-2007 10:42 pm

That looks absolutely delicious.  And I have such a sweet tooth right now!  I look foward to checking the rest of your site out.

9. Culinary permalink
    28-Sep-2007 7:19 am

Thanks, alias!  :-)

10. Eric permalink
    29-Sep-2007 7:24 am

Welcome home! – EE and BR

11. Culinary permalink
    29-Sep-2007 12:49 pm

Thanks EE and BR!  It\’s good to be back -when to U Dist Market this morning and actually got to buy – not just look!  Yeah!  :-)

12. Unknown permalink
    10-Oct-2007 4:28 pm

Cannele aren\’t that difficult to make, but the molds for them are very expensive, like $20 each. So to make a batch of 10, you\’d need 10 molds, or $200 worth of equipment. The Traveler\’s Lunchbox posted a recipe for a larger version of this, that you can make in a heavy bundt pan – I\’ve yet to try it, but it looks like she had a lot of success with this method.

Comments are closed.