Skip to content

Cherry Tomatoes

04-Sep-2005

My cherry tomatoes are going crazy.  This is what I picked yesterday and there are still more to be picked today!  I planted two types; Sweet 100s (my favorites); and Suncherry.  I wish I could say the rest of my tomatoes are doing as well. This seems to be an odd year.  My Green Zebras – normally a great performer – are all dinky compared to what they should be.  I also grew a new (to me) heirloom, Ceylon, and while I have a lots of tomatoes, they too are small and I’m pretty sure they shouldn’t be.  My yellow pear is sad, but this plant had problems from the beginning so that didn’t surprise me.  My San Marzano, on the other hand, is doing great!  The tomatoes are just getting ripe but the plant is loaded and the tomatoes are large, like they should be.

Conversations with other tomato growers have shown they have similar results this year.  All except M.  She tells me her plants are doing better than any other year!  I have my guesses as to why mine have been behaving so oddly but it will take until next year to see if my theory is correct.  In the meantime, I’m up to my ears in cherry tomatoes and am having a hard time keeping up with them!

6 Comments
  1. Unknown permalink
    05-Sep-2005 6:02 pm

Those are glorious photographs!

2. Culinary permalink
    06-Sep-2005 7:07 am

Thanks, Shauna! :-) ~ B

3. lisa permalink
    09-Sep-2005 7:26 pm

Our tomatoes have outdone themselves this year. We started picking ripe Brandywines August 1st and the rest soon followed. Unfortunately, we planted 21 plants because previous years have been bad but this year we\’ve put away more salsa, sauce and eaten more tomatoes than I have in my lifetime. Some of my plants are actually dying back, I think of exhaustion. If you want a really good mid-sized tomato, good slicer, great producer and all over healthy plant try Topcat. It grows mid-sized fruits in clusters of 8-10. Amazing tomato and perfect size for 1 sandwich…no having to store 1/2 of a tomato.

4. Culinary permalink
    10-Sep-2005 9:38 am

Hi Lisa!21 bushes is amazing!! And of course it would happen that the year you plant so many is the year you have a great crop! :-) Topcat sounds a lot like another plant I like, Early Girl. I\’ll have to look around for it next year. Because our weather here is normally cool early in the season, I always plant my tomatoes on the south side of my house where they get extra heat from the sun heating the foundation. This year, though, it got hot early and then cooled down just as everthing was getting going. I think that combination was disastrous for my plants, especially since the early heat was magnified due to the location of the plants. Also, since I have very limited planting space my tomatoes go into the same spot every year which is really bad to do. Although I try to really supplement the soil each year I may not have done enough. It may just be that my luck has run out and I\’m going to have to find a new place for them for a year or two. Happy eating – the thought of your salsas and sauce makes me jealous! :-) ~ B

5. 11-Sep-2005 9:16 pm

Wow. I\’m really glad I discovered your site. Your success with tomatoes in the Puget Sound area is inspiring. We just finished landscaping a new garden area that\’ll be ready for next spring. I\’m going to become a regule visitor to this site. Please keep it going!!p.s. if you know of nay good places to visit in the Miracle Mile area of Chicago, please advise!!! I\’m heading there next Saturday. Cheers,BH

6. Culinary permalink
    12-Sep-2005 5:31 am

Thanks, BH!Growing tomatoes in this area can be a bit challenging. You\’ll have good luck if you look for those that were bred especially for the Northwest and have a shorter maturity time. There are several varieties that have come out of Oregon State University that do pretty well. A brand new garden – I\’m very jealous! Unfortunately it\’s been quite some time since I\’ve been to the Windy City – something I definitely need to rectify! In the meantime, you might check out: http://www.kiplog.com/food/. He often focuses on other local blogs and information. Check out his post on August 15th – there are some links to other sites you might find of interest. ~ B

Comments are closed.